Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Weddings and Baby Showers, Oh My!

J-Dawg and I had two events in the same month that we were invited to. We were looking forward to both of them, and unfortunately didn't look at the calendar soon enough. We later realized they were on the same day...

My brothers had a very close friend, T-Boyle, that they had been friends with for as long as I can remember. Now T-Boyle was a very good-looking individual, and had a personality that made girls melt. If you haven't figured it out by now, I was that annoying little sister that was crushin' on my brothers' buddy, six years my elder. It didn't matter to me though; in middle school, I decided he was perfect. He set the bar--- I would compare every guy to him.

My sister was married in Vegas in 2007, and with all the wedding hype (and some alcohol) I thought it would be a great idea to contact T-Boyle and propose. He giggled warmly, and said "For you..... sure!" I knew he was just being kind to me, but he always knew how to boost my confidence.  It was at that point that I decided I would only marry someone who was comparative to T-Boyle (I thought it would be impossible). 

Well, I got an invite to attend T-Boyle's wedding, and knew I wanted to be there and wish him the best. Only problem is, the wedding was the same day as J-Dawg's cousin's, (Katrina) coed baby shower. Katrina and her dad Titus are J-Dawg's only family in the States. Because of this, they are all very close and J-Dawg and his family like to spend time with them whenever they can. 

Luckily for us, the wedding was in Los Lunas and the baby shower was in Bosque Farms, only minutes from each other. We decided to try and attend both... 


"McHotts" Ready for the Wedding
First, we went to the wedding. Being in the church and seeing friends and family was comforting. The bride walked down the aisle, looking gorgeous. I thought I'd be hurting over watching the man I had admired for the past ten + years, tying the knot. Then I looked to my right just as J-Dawg squeezed my hand and smiled warmly at me. At that point I realized, he was the only man I wanted at my side for the rest of my life. I wish a happy and healthy life for T-Boyle and his bride and know that everything happens for a reason. 


We then decided to head to the coed baby shower, and then figured we would head to the wedding reception after. J-Dawg gave me a tour around Titus' house where the shower was being held. I was overwhelmed with its beauty. There was a nearly life-size original Dutch windmill in his front yard.


The baby shower began and we were introduced to all the guests. There was a load of games to play, and the neat thing was everyone (guys and girls) were included. This was unlike any baby shower I had been to, and it was a blast. For the first game, everyone gathered in a circle and a baby doll was passed back and forth. When the doll was thrown to someone, they had to catch it and name something related to babies. The shocking part was there were three people left: a man, a woman and J-Dawg! With no children himself, he had this game mastered! (With answers such as breast pump, and diaper "butt rub"). 


Then it was the guys turn to compete in a game. Sippy cups were filled with beer and it became a race to see who could down the beer first. Little did I know, this is a very difficult feat. J-Dawg was not content with the limited amount of liquid coming out of the small holes.


We were trying to get a hold of my siblings to find out more information about the wedding reception, since we had arranged to meet back up. Unfortunately, there was a disconnect in the communication, and weren't able to make plans with them.

It was then time for the girls to have their competition: make the largest baby bump as possible using balloons. J-Dawg's sis was wearing a super cute flowy dress, and I just knew she'd win. But I was wearing what looked like a maternity shirt (I loved how comfy it was) and decided I could compete also. Little did I know there was a grandmother there who was goin to have us both beaten with her awesomeness. 

We were really having a blast at the baby shower and I decided we should enjoy the rest of the night there. The plan was to have some adult beverages and crash at Titus', not having to worry about driving back and forth. If alcohol is involved, Jeroen and I refuse to drive anywhere. Safety is first, fun is second. 


After most of the guests had left, a select few of us hung out and shot the bull. The boys were fishing in Titus' beautiful pond in the back, while us girls got some time to chit-chat. It was so neat getting to talk to Katrina, the mom-to-be, and see how beautiful she was with her pregnant glow. I smiled and thought, "I can't wait to have that one day."

No comments:

Post a Comment