Tuesday, December 27, 2011

There's more to Texas than the Panhandle

After my worst fear of my house falling apart became a reality, I had to call in pros to fix my roof that had completely collapsed from the AC leak. Unfortunately, the repairs took over three weeks. When it was completed, I was ecstatic. It looked amazing with new paint, carpet and vinyl tile. At this time, my work was putting tons of hours on me and requiring me to work weekends. 

I was missing J-Dawg something fierce, and luckily, I got a couple of days off so I could go with him to San Angelo to a friend's lake house. J-Dawg surprised me and came one day early, since I was so miserable with my job and being without him. He hung out at my house while I worked some hours on Friday so I could leave on Saturday. When I returned home from work, I found my house decorated and situated how it was prior to the repairs. Being so busy, I hadn't had time to put everything back. But J-Dawg remembered where it all went and made it look beautiful and homey again. 

We hit the road on Saturday morning and headed west to San Angelo. Some words of advice: look at a map before a road trip; and Texas is a big state. Thinking we were near El Paso, we didn't think it'd be too long of a drive. Little did we know, San Angelo was not close at all. Luckily the speed limit was 80, and we found things to keep us entertained (discussing TX water rights, eating Payday candy bars, and playing I Spy). 

When we arrived to the beautiful lake house, I immediately heard Texas country blaring. Very curious, I followed the sound to find there was a huge concert on one of the docks a couple lake houses down. This was gonna be amazing, I could feel it. We hung out with J-Dawg's siblings and a couple of friends at the house and then took the boat out. The lake was small but still very cool!

I watched as J-Dawg's brother water skied, and sat jealous of his physical abilities. (Last time I tried water skiing, I wasn't able to get up even once as the skis kept coming off my feet). I was invited to try, and said I'd rather watch the others. But just being on the boat, feeling the warm water splash my face, and seeing J-Dawg smile was just so amazing. 

We headed back to the house and cleaned up to head out for dinner with the whole gang. We ate at this awesome sushi bar and shared all the different rolls (thank goodness I was introduced to it earlier). J-Dawg's sister suggested we then head to a bar. Never would I have been able to dream up the creativity that the owner of this bar did. It was a bar at night, and an antique store during the day. But at night, while drinking, all items are for sale. For some reason, intoxication makes less attractive items seem like a great buy. Although... J-Dawg's sis actually bought some  really cool chairs and some other neat items. 


The next day we spent the day out and about on the lake and enjoyed the warm air and cool water. Because I had to go back to work the next day, we didn't get to spend much time in San Angelo. But I'm so glad we were able to go for even a short period of time, and spend some more time getting to know J-Dawg's friends and family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment