Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Things WERE horrible....

After graduation, with the declining economy, finding a job seemed nearly impossible. I knew I wanted to be with J-Dawg, but just couldn't figure out how to. There was no way I could ask him to leave the dairy, nor did I want him to. It was such a part of him. So we discussed me moving to Clovis, and finding a job there. I began looking at apartments and sending in applications everywhere imaginable in the High Plains. 

Jeroen took me to look at some small houses and apartments in the Clovis area, something within my budget. I had a couple of leads, but nothing was really fitting. He had mentioned us moving in together a couple of times, but at the time, was living with his sister and had a very comfortable and nice setup that he couldn't afford to leave.  

Things were just looking so gloomy, and I felt like Eeyore. I was attending interviews after interviews, with no call-backs. But I wasn't about to give up, I loved this man more than anything and there was something so special about what we had. 

We knew how in love we were, and when we were apart the pain was nearly unbearable. We just belonged together, there were no ands, ifs, or buts about it. I was miserable being in Las Cruces. I had graduated and no longer wanted to be
working for the car dealership, or dealing with the college drama. I spent nights journaling and on Job Search websites, trying to get through it.

Then some shocking news came... his parents were looking for a small house they could buy, fix up, and end up having later for when their yoghurt line kicked up (in case the future manager needed housing). On Aug 2nd, I was given word that his folks were actually physically viewing houses. If they were to find one, they were hoping Jeroen would move into it and fix it up. 

On Aug 19th, they placed a bid on a beautiful 1,700 sq. ft house they found in Farwell, TX outside Clovis.  After discussing payment details with his parents, the bid was accepted on Aug 27th and a down payment was made. Jeroen then invited me to move in with him. I could not have been more happy!

I turned in my two-weeks to the car dealership, and my mom came down to Cruces to help me pack and hold a yard sale. All the money made was set aside to help pay for things the house needed. In a last desperate attempt to find a job, I picked up the Clovis phone book and began calling all the businesses that I might enjoy working for. 

I wasn't optimistic about the responses, and I began to worry more. Only two of the thirty-some-odd companies I called actually took messages. One of which was Danforth and Sons Service Co., a dairy service company. I asked if they were hiring and she said not really but they would take down my information and get back to me. 

Much later, after they reviewed my resume, I received a call-back that her husband would like to meet with me. Ecstatic, I put on some nice clothes and met my soon-to-be boss for breakfast. We chatted for hours, and really got to know one another. They weren't necessarily looking to hire, and were unsure about my marketing/ advertising degree. They said they'd be in touch with me. Although I thought it went well, I felt disappointed about the fear of being denied another job.

But later I received call saying they "saw something" in me and loved my "passion for dairies". They had wanted to begin route sales for dairy supplies and I was their gal. They had understood the whole situation I was going through with the move, and trying to clear out of the old house. They offered me a position- to start in Oct, giving me enough time to get my stuff situated. 


Although the month of Aug and Sept seemed to drag on and on, looking back I can say it all went pretty smooth and quick. Things really began to fall into place, and God truly did have a plan for Jeroen and I. Although I never doubted God, I was making a lot of plans that He was laughing at. He knew exactly what he was doing for us. 


By the middle of Sept, we had moved into the house and began working on it... It was our first home, and during the renovation process we learned so much about one another.

In the next blog: "Before and After: A home's renovation from elderly adornment to a modern twist with Dutch/Country/ Zebra flare!"

No comments:

Post a Comment