Wednesday, August 17, 2011

World's Longest Tramway (Well, 'usedta-could' be)

J-Dawg had mentioned he had heard that New Mexico had the world's longest tramway and wanted to check it out. (Sandia used to be the world's longest tram, until Armenia built a 3.4 mile last year). The Sandia Peak Aerial Tramway transports you above deep canyons and breathtaking terrain, a distance of 2.7 miles (when it's open). The winds that afternoon after the wine fest had kicked up something fierce, so we went the day after. 

So the next morning, we left to head to the tram. Its funny because I used to dread driving in Abq, because of the inconsiderate drivers. But J-Dawg offered to drive. In his hefty, tall truck, he does not put up with any aggressive nor passive driver's non-sense. I love how safe I feel when I'm beside him. I realized that each time I'm with him, I have an invisible safety bubble around me, and am untouchable. My lifetime of clutziness (broken bones, dented cars, public plunges, and other embarrassing moments) may be reduced with the simple introduction of one man into my life. If I never run into an open dishwasher door again, I would consider myself to be ridden of the terrible Anaya curse, all fixed by Sir Dutchman.

After a very long, steep drive up to the base of the Sandia mountains, we took a deep breath of the cool mountain air. We waited in line, then crawled onto the tram with many others, especially tourists. Sometimes, I forget J-Dawg is still semi a tourist. He hasn't seen many things in the state of New Mexico, or the US for that matter, that the rest of us are accustom to. Because of this, he reminds me of the true beauty in the small things, that otherwise would go unnoticed. We take time and smell a lot of roses. 

He stood behind me and held me around the waist as we looked at the beautiful mountains below us. Although neither of us are really scared of heights, there were times when the wind began rocking the tram, that it became pretty uncomfortable. But I wasn't too worried, because I was in J-Dawg's arms. The scenery was beautiful, the temperature was a wonderful change from the desert heat, and we were together. It was perfect.



We reached the top and looked over at all of Albuquerque, what a beautiful site.We visited the High Finance restaurant (appropriately named, pretty expensive), and opted to share a drink. And to be honest, I was curious about the myth of alcohol at high altitudes. J-Dawg told me to pick any drink I wanted, that it was on him. (He was driving and didn't want anything.) Yes, it is true, I felt a slight buzz after only a couple of sips of Sandia Ice Cream made with butterscotch, Bailey's, Kahlua, and Frangelico with cream on the rocks. What a delicious drink... $13 delicious. We hung out a little bit longer at the top and enjoyed the beautiful view, then decided to head back down.

We then headed south to my place so we could spend some time together, and it was important to me that J-Dawg and my friends had become acquainted. I invited a couple of my girl friends to go to dinner with J-Dawg and I at Texas Roadhouse. It made me laugh how he loved the peanuts on the floor. The girls really liked him, and were super happy for me. That meant a lot to me. I received a text afterwards from one of them that said "Be sure and send me an invite to the wedding!"

Once again we only had the one night left together, he had to leave in the morning. I hated saying goodbye, but felt a little better because I was planning on heading his way at the end of that week and then we would head to Bro's for a mini family reunion. The next morning, we bid our goodbyes and I explained to him that I felt sorry for people who don't know him because they're missing out! He replied, "I don't know, I'm just me." And that's what I love the most about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment