Friday, August 5, 2011

After four years (and a victory lap), graduation finally came!

Telling J-Dawg goodbye after the wonderful couple of days we had spent together was very hard, but one event made it somewhat easier...GRADUATION. I was to be graduating that coming weekend of May 7 and I had a lot to do to prepare for it all, so to-do lists enveloped most of my thoughts ( J-Dawg had set up shop in my brain- he had become a permanent fixture, so every other thought was of him).

To my surprise, while saying goodbye, he said "I'm not sure if I can, but I'm really going to try and make it to your party and graduation." I was so excited, I couldn't see straight. What could be better than walking across that stage, being handed a diploma, and then seeing my parents, Bro and Fiance and the rest of the family with pride in their eyes? And then being swept into J-Dawg's embrace? I replied, "That'd be awesome if you could make it, and if not, I'll understand." The great thing about J-Dawg (well, let's face it, everything is great about J-Dawg) is that when he says he'll try to do something he means it. To this day, I don't believe he's ever backed out on his word to anyone.

I began getting everything together for my party. Because of my love for Dr. Seuss (and his sensational quotes), I chose to have a "Oh the Places You'll Go" themed party. Others may have thought this was very childish, but what's life if you're not having fun? My mom and I made a wonderful centerpiece of colored feathers and 'whatchamadoosits", fish bowls filled with Goldfish snacks, and colored and polka dot plates, napkins, and plastic ware. She also designed and ordered the coolest custom cake ever! (See below)

Although I was missing J-Dawg, I had so much to do before graduation (pay all my university fines and parking tickets, clean house, assure family coming in from out of town were situated, work with mom about food and drinks to serve...). Luckily, most of the tough stuff had already been done: grad pictures had been taken, invites were designed and sent out, and cap and gown were in my possession. 

Thursday rolled around and I got a call from J-Dawg saying he couldn't come that evening (that's when my parents, Bro and Fiance got into town) but that he would be there Friday morning! Whoopee! (I literally said that.) That night, my parents, Bro, Fiance, and my uncle all went out to eat for Bro's birthday. We were able to enjoy some authentic New Mexican food, but wished the rest of my family could be there (Yo-Yo, M, Reeder and K couldn't make it for my graduation.)We then went to the bar and were having a great time until we ran into Butthead there, and they had words. That night was the night mine and Butthead's eight-year-friendship had ended.

After Bro's feelings of my past boyfriends, I feared how the meeting would go with him and J-Dawg. Bro is pretty protective of me, but like my parents, fears I don't have the best judgement when it comes to choosing men. He's met all of my exes and never really took to any of them (rightfully so). He, like me, knew none of them quite had "it". What's "it" you ask? "It" is different for everyone, but to impress me (and my siblings for the most part) ya gotta be smart, down-to-earth, minimally cocky, polite, kind and funny. None of my exes really checked off on ALL of the characteristics.


On Friday, we began decorating the house and getting things ready. Fiance was amazing help, while she, her friend, and my mom did darn-near everything! After a long, hot drive J-Dawg rolled into my house pretty sluggish. I felt horrible for him as he had to bust his tail at the dairy so that he could leave work that weekend. I introduced him to the rest of the family he hadn't met yet, including Bro. J-Dawg did the most important thing you can do when meeting my brother- looked him in the eye, gave him a firm handshake, and introduced himself. (You wouldn't believe the amount of people that don't understand this simple, yet crucial gesture.)


While Fiance and I finished getting ready, Bro and J-Dawg sat in the living room, shooting the bull. They talked cows, and when I walked in, Fox News was on, but I wasn't sure which one changed it to that channel, as they're both avid watchers. I came in and sat down with them, and saw J-Dawg yawn and fight to keep his eyelids open. I sent him to take a nap while we finished preparing everything. Although he was reluctant, he was out once his head hit the pillow.

Bro and Fiance then surprised me with a box that felt as if it was empty. I was unsure of what was in it, yet excited to find out. I opened it to find a drawing I had made over two years ago of a pair of custom boots I wanted (15" green tops with decorative crosses, my initials on the pull tabs, round toe with roper heel). Confused, I asked what it was, so Bro pulled out the laptop and showed me the order for these custom boots. I was so incredibly stoked and appreciative of what Bro, Fiance, my other brother, Reeder, and his wife, K, had done for me! 'How exciting,' I thought, 'no one is going to have these boots!'

*Side note- For as long as I could remember, I couldn't and still can't handle when girls would go out and purchase all the same items I already had then say "Look what I bought". I've spent a lot of my time trying to find things that are unique, as I'm not a fan of looking like everyone else. So I'm very excited about my custom boots!

J-Dawg woke up from his nap and I showed him my drawing of my custom boots, even he was excited! Then my mom brought in my cake and it was so creatively awesome! At that point I was very grateful that I have such a wonderful family, and a wonderful "vriendje" (boyfriend). I opened the rest of my grad gifts from the family and was surprised to receive my very own status purse (luckily, I haven't seen anyone else with the same one) and inside of it were Alan Jackson tickets. Thanks mom! Guests started arriving for the party, so I walked around introducing them and family to one another. 

Although not many of my friends that I invited were able to come, those that did come really mean a lot to me. It was great to hang out with Alli and her bf, both of which I had met when I first started college. 2213,a guy I had met freshman year that I had become best friends with stopped by and met my parents, as well as a couple of buddies from high school. While I made my rounds, socializing, I noticed that J-Dawg and my dad had been talking all night. 'Yay, Dad will realize J-Dawg is not an angry person!'

"Oh the Places You'll Go" Graduation Party  
                                




  
















Textbook Cake



We socialized, had some drinks, and hung out some more. It was pretty low-key and relaxed, but let's face it, after five years of college, I was all partied out. It was getting pretty late, and my grandparents were outlasting most of my guests! By the time everyone had left, Bro, Fiance and I weren't ready to crash. We asked J-Dawg if he wanted to play an awesome game of 'Things', "the hilarious new party game that presents players with provocative topics like "THINGS… people do when no one is looking", "THINGS… you wouldn’t do for a million dollars" or "THINGS… your parents forgot to tell you"… and allows each player to say whatever comes to mind. Pick a topic, get everyone to write a response, read them out loud and then guess who said what. There are no right answers. There are no wrong answers, just a lot of fun. You won’t believe the THINGS… you’ll hear"

We began playing and Bro pulled the card "Things you shouldn't juggle...". Both Fiance and I said 'women'. J-Dawg's response? 'Chain saws'. Bro laughed super hard, and said J-Dawg won that one. Next was "Things you wouldn't want to help your brother with..." J-Dawg's response? "Pulling a still-born calf at 2am". He had won again. Bro was enjoying hearing J-Dawg's responses, not only because they were literal, but because he could relate to them. 

At this point it was super late and we all knew we had a long day ahead of us. The Bro's protective nature kicked in. "J-Dawg, I hope that twin bed in the spare room is comfy, cause you know that's where you're sleeping." J-Dawg, being the respectful gentleman he is, smiled warmly and said "Good night guys", as he walked towards the spare room. Considerate of my brother's request, I gave J-Dawg a kiss goodnight and went to my room.

The next morning we were all dragging butt, but was excited to graduate. All done up in a pretty summer dress and my grandmother's pearls, I grabbed my heels and was ready to go. Next to my heels, were my white top, square-toe, Anderson Bean boots. I went back and forth thinking of what to do - be a lady and wear the heels? Or be me and take my boots? I grabbed them both and we headed to the university.

It was a blazing day and although graduation was inside, we had to stand outside in line. J-Dawg was a sweetheart and hung out with me in the blistering heat and kept me company. The line started to move, so he gave me a hug and went inside to where my parents were. Waiting that day felt longer than all the five years I had actually been in college. My feet were killing me so I opted for the boots, and changed before I went in. 'I love my boots,' I thought.

FINALLY, my college was called and we were getting closer. But one thing my dad gave me besides his blue eyes, his lack of patience, and his love for animals is his last name. The T's took forever to get to! Then my row began to stand and I was overwhelmed with excitement, as my hours of texting J-Dawg and writing on my Facebook page were finally over. I walked to the stage and got compliment after compliment on my boots (luckily I was easy for my family to see). The "Voice of the Aggies" read my name as I was handed my fake diploma. He smiled at me like he had done many times before. I actually worked with him at the radio station and really appreciated him and his humor.

Walking off the stage, I hear someone scream my name and as soon as I looked up, S had taken a picture of me. Then I received a text from him saying congrats with a compliment on my boots. Awkward.  

Afterwards, we were sent back to our seat to wait some more. 'Really people?! I have stuff to do! Let me out!' I'm thinkin' every kid sitting in Pan Am, wearing a a cap and gown was thinking the same exact thing! Either that, or 'Ugh, I can't believe Mom made me walk!' Then we were finally released!

I walked out and found my parents,grandparents, siblings, uncle, and to my surprise, 2213! He sat through a four hour graduation ceremony with my family? Wow. I was grateful, but slightly confused. That's sweet, but why? Bro and Fiance gave me flowers, and everyone gave me hugs to congratulate me. I took pictures with my grandparents, as this was a very important event to my grandmother.

We got in the Suburban and headed back to my house to change and cool off. Sweet, kind J-Dawg put his hand on top of mine, and said "That's cool that 2213 came, but..." He didn't have to say anything, I knew what he meant. He wasn't jealous or hurt by any chance, but like me, was confused. Unfortunately my mom piped in at that instant, "That boy's in love with you!" Really mother?! Really?!

We then went to the hotel where my parents and grandparents were staying, and enjoyed some yummy snacks, pizza and then took a dip in the pool. Bro and Fiance came and hung out with us, and we just enjoyed some relaxed time with the familia. I was finally done with textbooks, university parking fees, dorms, and boy drama. That day I was able to let out a huge sigh and say "I'm done."

I said goodbye to all my family members who had come down and was beginning to feel the relief of things slowing down. I had went to Europe then graduated- time for a breather. J-Dawg asked if I minded if he were to stay another night, and I was ecstatic. Bro shook his hand and said goodbye, then threw in "Just cause I'm not here doesn't mean you don't have to sleep in the spare bedroom." J-Dawg just smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment