Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Found 6'2 Dutch Dairyman...

How'd I do it, you ask? Shear talent. Nope, just kidding. It's the grand 'ol saying of "It's not what you know, but who you know". J-Dawg (as my 6'2 Dutch dairyman has become known as thanks to my brother) and I have a mutual friend named... lets call just him J.S. (yup, that'll work). J.S. and I have known each other since we started college in the Fall of 06, and coincidentally enough, he was suite mates with my ex-boyfriend, Butthead (that's also a story for a later day). But through Butthead, J.S. and I became pretty good friends and he'd always stop by to say howdy and was always a blast to talk to.

Then in the Fall of 08, I was accepted to attend another university through the National Student Exchange (NSE) program, and was told I'd be going to OSU with another student from State. Before packing up my bags and waiving goodbye to home, I met with the NSE adviser to finalize the paperwork, payments, and situate all last minute things. During our meeting, I asked who the other "exchange" was... and damned if it wasn't J.S.! I was ecstatic to be in a new town with not only someone I knew, but someone I liked! I contacted J.S. and discussed our attending OSU together. Once there, we hung out a lot, went to lunch at some of the yummiest places in Stillwater, and got pretty rowdy goin' to the Tumbleweed all too often (especially the Calf Fry).

I came back to NMSU after only one semester there (still another story for a later time) while J.S. stayed for the entire year. He and I stayed in contact and hung out some once he got back. After I learned of my needing a second language and decided on Dutch, I talked with J.S. about it over dinner. He casually mentioned a buddy he had from back home that spoke Dutch. Then the details starting spewing out, "His family has a dairy", "he's such a good guy", "everybody loves him...". Immediately, the only thing I could think was, 'sign me up!'.

J.S. said he'd tell his buddy about me learning Dutch and see if he could get him to help me some (mind you this was the in the summer of 10 and I would be doing my semester abroad in Spring 11).  I was extremely excited, but more so grateful that someone my age in NM could speak Dutch! Suh-weet. A couple of weeks rolled by, and still hadn't heard anything. I took a leap and sent J-Dawg a message on Facebook, describing my situation. No reply for weeks. So, me being the persistent little booger I am, sent him another message. Not even taking into account that some people in production agriculture spend their time WORKING and not playing on Facebook, I was sad I wouldn't hear from Sir Dutchman.

I finally found the best study abroad program and got the finances situated. By this time I had given up on receiving help from J-Dawg, and began studying on my own before leaving for Belgium in March of this year. (See below posts). While in Europe, I got to visit the Netherlands and fell even more in love with it. The green grass, the cows, the chocolate, the Delft pottery, the windmills, everything about it was just beautiful, just as I had imagined. After sightseeing for a week, it was time to begin my Dutch courses, but little did I know, it wasn't Dutch, but Flemish (in Belgium, they speak a Dutch that has somewhat of a French influence and it much less guttural).

I struggled the first week there but was able to focus and think of only the Dutch language. J.S. had text me to ask how I was doing and I explained about being in Belgium and that my plans to learn Dutch had actually come through! Then, I thought I try ONE more time... "J.S., think you can ask your buddy again if he'd mind helping me?" Ding ding, third times a charm. My phone vibrated, the message from J.S. read "he's busy now but he said he'll text you later when he gets a chance..."

No comments:

Post a Comment